Crying in the doctor's Office

It's something that I really don't want to do...ever. I don't want to stare at the sterile walls, the corner where the nightshift cleaner missed a clump of dirt, the $9.99 framed poster of some famous painter's work-reproduced so the colors bleed, and the brush strokes are lost, and cry. I don't want to do this in a doctor's office. Ever. But then, in a way, it is kind of comforting to cry to someone who knows the disease well-the numbers, and letters of it, the intricacies, even if they have only studied it and read about it in books, they have taken that interest, and the tears are a part of it.
I went to get my new pump hooked up and sat there, arms crossed. The nurse was running late-an emergency at the hospital.
"Will I ever become an 'emergency' at the hospital," I thought. "Will I ever get to work on time?" "Will I ever get a chance to feel normal and healthy again?"
I can't help but remember the days when I looked forward to going to the doctor's, because it was a reassurance of my health. All was well. I looked good, felt good, and my body was healthy. It is not like that any more. It is concern, and numbers, and directions, and pokes, and blood- letting, and anxiety, and reminders of what I will be if I make it to 65.
Ugh.
So I sat on the tissue-papered table, and looked at a Golf magazine, sunny skies, green grass, striped shirts, and I thought about whether or not I wanted to cry in front of this nurse, who knows my name only when she is looking at my chart.
I start to talk to the secretary of the office , who is also a diabetic, and says she understands, and tries to be there."I know, I know," she says. I am trying, swalloing hard, so I don't burst into tears. I have always been an honest to the core kind of person. Tell the truth, say how you are feeling, get it out. This is the first time I hold back my tears. What will it do for me here? It will make the nurse even later for the next appointment.
I ask for a name of a counselor-I get a piece of paper with "psychotherapist, name, phone" written on it. Psychotherapist. I am scared. I have tears welling in my eyes. My new pump is on, and I have no one to just cry to, to bury my head in someone's soft shoulder and cry for me. It is a selfish moment, but I just need that, and someone to hand me a tissue and tell me it's going to be alright. But I am in this office with fake plants, no windows, no fresh air, no flowers, no warm sun or swimming pool. I try to imagine all that until the appointment is over -and finally it is. I have to go back in a week, write down all my sugars-before meals, post perandeum-bedtime, middle of the night, exercise.
I will try my hardest, and I will go home and shed some tears. I wanted to in the car-but I had to head to work.

Comments

Ursula Ferreira said…
hi love. finally i got to read your blog today for the first time, and it really moved me. i wish we weren't so far away--i love you tons, and wish i could support you more. but know that you are always in my prayers and heart. and your writing about your experience is really powerful.
xoxoxoxox Ursi
ps Kiki talks about Everett and Wesley A LOT! she's even called them her brothers. hopefully we will be able to come out again in the next year, with Bruno, unless of course you make it here first!!!!
boobarella said…
I don't understand at all, I wish I did. But you can always cry to me I will listen and be your sounding board anyday. I love you and wish I could hug you tight.
Anonymous said…
Hi,
Caroline Grant emailed me a link to this post and I wanted to introduce myself. I am a mom and a writer and have been living with type 1 diabetes for 23 years and I can totally relate! Writing helps.....please take a look at my column, Chronic Mamas at Literary Mama when you have a free moment, it's written for women like you! www.literarymama.com/columns/chronicmamas.html
Anonymous said…
Hi, Caroline Grant sent me a link to this post, my name is Amy and I am a mom, a writer and have been living with type 1 diabetes for 23 years and can totally relate! Please take a look at my new column, Chronic Mamas at Literary Mama (www.literarymama.com/columns/chronicmama.html)
It's written for women like you!
Anonymous said…
Sorry for posting twice...not sure how that happened!

Popular Posts